Thursday, December 18, 2008

Defeat of a Nemesis from Childhood

In my early years, I would spend countless hours in trying to get my head around solving the Rubik's cube puzzle. Unfortunately, none of my attempts resulted in a line-up of the right colors on all six faces - The ultimate glory in the "cubing world". The repeated frustrations led me to abandon the game in its entirety. That is, until now.

On a recent trip to Hong Kong, I was in a toy store picking up a few toys for my kids. When I accidentally ran into a Rubik's cube shelf, the constant struggle that I had faced in trying to solve the cube in my childhood re-emerged. I immediately picked one up hoping that I could perhaps conquer in my adulthood what I could not achieve in my childhood. Well, it was not easy, but I can finally say that I now can solve the cube. The difference this time in my approach was the level of determination, and getting myself familiar with cube algorithms, which can be found online. I am attaching a couple of photos to show that the proof is in the pudding :-).

If you are also stuck in trying to conquer the cube, my success hopefully can fuel your desire and determination. Good luck!

-SP

No comments: